This mornings keynote was full of upcoming and very exciting innovations. The biggest are:
- Going cross region and cross cloud.
- GCP coming, currently in preview.
- Cross region and cross cloud bidirectional replication.
- Transparent failover.
- Consolidated billing and management of all related accounts.
- Load data from Google Cloud Storage as stage, prior to full implementation of Snowflake on GCP (I believe this is already available).
- Numercy UI – a significantly better web user interface.
- Tasks and job control
- Ability to invoke new stored procedures
- Guaranteed change data capture on streaming data
- Simplified Kafka connection in conjunction with #3.
- Materialized views on external files.
- Auto Ingest, similar to snowpipes but without the need for Rest call to kick off ingestion.
- Geo/spatial and user defined data types.
It was also great watching the presentation on data lakes in Snowflake, almost matching my post The Elephant in the Data Lake and Snowflake!